Halloween this year seems to be off to a soggy start. This, along with school picture day, has made for a very unsettled day. Hopefully, tomorrow will see things going back to order. Also, with luck the rest of the afternoon and evening will be storm free. Even though trick or treating has been rescheduled for tomorrow, remember school rules say no candy or gum, so be careful.
I will not be at school tomorrow. I have jury duty. Everyone knows what is expected regarding behavior in the classroom. The expectations are to be polite and respectful at all times. They also include being quiet, paying attention, and completing work. I know when I get back Monday, I will be reading the substitute’s note telling me how wonderful all of you are!
There will be a TASK SHEET. Find your Block and follow the directions. You will have to stay on task to finish everything that is listed. Make sure to do the items in order, check for your name for retesting, and turn all completed work in.
Announcements Oct 31
AGENDA, October 31, 2013
- Behave for substitute tomorrow
- Follow the TASK SHEET Task Sheet Nov 1
- Blocks 1 & 2 – Achieve 3000 – 5 articles due Monday
- Enjoy your Halloween and trick or treating
See you Monday!!
I know that this will be a very pleasant surprise for most of you… but I have officially run out of time today to write a full blog. This also means that there will NOT be a Reader Response for today. I sincerely hope all of you will not be too disappointed. I am going to include a few things:
Announcements Oct 30
AGENDA – October 30, 2013:
I think that will do it for today! Have a good evening.
It has been a very busy Tuesday, but the students have been working really hard. Tomorrow, short Greek/Latin root word projects are due. From what has already been turned in, they are looking great! It is always interesting to see how all of the different students approach the same assignment. Individual creativity really pays off.
INFORMATION: Thursday is Halloween and also school picture day. The regular dress code is in effect for that day. Also, students are not to put unnatural colors in their hair or wear costumes of any kind.
ANNOUNCEMENTS: Tuesday, October 29, 2013
Announcements Oct 29
LUNCH MENU for NOVEMBER:
November 2013 Lunch Menu Middle and Jr High Menu
- Study Guide – Point of View Conflicting Viewpoints (mini-lesson, discussion, practice). Exit Ticket tomorrow.
- Work on and share Greek/Latin Roots project
- Vocabulary Unit 3, words 63-92 retest Friday, November 1
- Irony & Context Clues retest Friday, November 1
- Achieve 3000 check sheet (5 articles) due next Monday, November 4
- Exit Ticket for Free Reading will be turned in Friday, November 1. The summary on the back can be started at anytime. Remember to fill out the info on the front as you read in class, this is NOT for at home reading.
READER RESPONSE: This needs to be completed on Kidblog. I will be checking.
**Why is learning Greek/Latin Roots important? How can you use this information to decode unfamiliar words? Give examples.
- We are in desperate need pencils of any kind. HELP, PLEASE!
- The BOOK FAIR will continue through the rest of this week and will be open Friday evening before the musical, “The Wizard of Oz” begins.
Thanks for all you do, it is always appreciated.
Today begins the week-long Scholastic Book Fair. Students will have the opportunity every day to browse and purchase items each day. All of the proceeds will be put directly back into each ELA classroom in the form of free reading books, novel sets, and supplementary materials. This year the selection is amazing. There is something for everyone, at every reading level, and every interest level. We appreciate any support that you can provide for our book fair.
ANNOUNCEMENTS – Monday, October 28, 2013
ANnouncements Oct 28
- Visit to the Book Fair
- Free Read – explanation of EXIT TICKETS
- Greek/Latin Roots Project – Due Wednesday (Block 1 & 2), Tuesday (Block 3)
**Don’t forget to look for pictures to use if you are doing the index card option.
- Please pay $5.00 fee as soon as possible
- Bring in supplies, again if poosible, Kleenex, hand sanitizer, dry erase markers
This was a good start to a busy week, keep it up!
Well, today is report card day and I am sure some of you have questions. If you are unsure of something or have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me or any other teacher. PAWS were awarded for all A’s, B’s, C’s, and any positive comments. Many students received lots of them! For them it was a good day.
Please do not forget that if you have not paid the $5.00 ELA fee to try to get that in as soon as possible. It is really appreciated and 8th grade ELA is in the process of buying new novels and materials for the classrooms.
Announcements – October 24, 2013
Announcements Oct 24
Next week is the Scholastic Book Fair sponsored by the 8th grade ELA team. There is still a need for volunteers to work on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. If you could possibly help out let me know what day and time you would be available. Information letters were sent home Tuesday. Here is a copy: Book Fair letter
AGENDA – October 24, 2013
- Bell Work Bell Work October 24
- DIscuss Greek/Latin Root Project for tomorrow
- Flowers for Algernon – read, discuss, questions. I will be attaching the questions and answers each day, if you missed any or were absent please get caught up flowers-for-algernon skills question answers
Enough for today, let’s make tomorrow a great Friday!
Starting today, the class blog will be including the NJHS daily announcements. These are the announcements that are made each morning. In case the student (or parent) missed some information, they can click on the announcement link and find what they need. Here is the link for today, October 23, information:
Announcements October 23, 2013
Picture Day – This year school picture day will be next Thursday, October 31, 2013. Students will be required to follow the dress code guidelines. More information and packets to purchase pictures will be sent home in the next few days.
AGENDA – Wednesday, October 23, 2013;
- Bell Work – Bell Work Oct 23 – this will be collected every Friday for a grade
- Greek/Latin Roots – defined and gave examples on the study guide.
- Flowers for Algernon – continued the story, discussion, and questions
- There will be NO Reader Response this week. These will begin again next week, so be looking for them.
- Greek/Latin roots must be finished to start project tomorrow
- Netbooks are needed, CHARGED and ready tomorrow
- Free Reading Book tomorrow
- Blocks 1 & 2 – continue the great work on Achieve 3000
You’re off to a good start, keep up the good work!