Good Morning Huskies!
As we dive into the first week of such a festive month, we recognize that Christmas is just around the corner! The year will soon come to a close and the new year will blossom. We only have 2 ½ weeks left in this school semester, so we have to make the most of it!
- DLR Week #16 – Participles – 8.W.6.1.B
- Free Reading Exit Ticket – Due Friday, December 12, 2014 for grade (8.RL.1)
- DIALOGUE – Students complete The Outsiders chart with the story dialogue alone to be discussed and checked after completion (Study Guide) (8.RL.2.3)
- Start “Chapter Title Completion” (in Study Guide after Chapters 11 & 12) Use “Major Episodes” after Plot Diagram (8.RL.2.1)
- Continue The Outsiders
Kleenex, Kleenex, Kleenex!
Here are some participle practice websites:
Interesting events that occurred on December 3rd:
- Illinois became the 21st state
- President Andrew Jackson was elected
- 1st successful technicolor movie (Tall of the Sea) was presented in New York City
- An attempted (but failed) assassination of Bob Marley occurred
- Hulk Hogan became WWF champion
10 facts about Anime:
- Anime has become so popular, that there are 130 + anime voice acting schools.
- The Japanese voice actors of Haruhi and Hikaru (from Ouran High School Host Club) are married
- In Japan, black cats are considered good luck
- The highest grossing anime film is Spirited Away. Bringing a total of $274,925,095
- The anime “Bleach” was originally rejected due to similarities to the anime “Yu Yu Hakusho”
- Pokemon (originally Pocket Monsters) was inspired by bug collecting
- The anime “Sally the Witch,” was the first “Magical Girl” anime genre
- The anime “Fairy Tail,” there are themes/ references to Christianity and Buddhism
- Bubbles (King Kai’s pet monkey from Dragon Ball Z) is a reference to Michael Jackson’s pet chimpanzee, which is also named bubbles
- Hikari and her rival, Nozmi (Pokemon) are both references to “bullet train” lines of the same names the Nozomi his a faster train than the Hikari (symbolizing that Nozomi is more skilled.)
Personal Interest Story:
During the last round of WIN periods, I had the pleasure of taking a class called ‘Rock and Roll History’. I for one am a very big fan of that genre of music, so I was extremely excited to be a part of the class. The class was taught by a student who currently attends the University of Southern Indiana. He explained to us many things about Rock and Roll, including the origin, the different styles, and the different artists within the genre. I learned that the beginning R&R artists were in ‘Big Bands’ and didn’t sound like much like Rock and Roll at all. But over time the many artists that followed evolved the music into what it is today. Older artists like The Who and Elvis Presley influenced many of the newer artists including Weezer and Green Day. There are also many styles of R&R. Some of these styles include Metal (like Metallica and ACDC), Grunge (like Nirvana), and Punk (like Green Day). I personally like Punk the most, because Green Day is my favorite band. We learned very much from the overall knowledge that the teacher used and the visual and audible aids that went along with it. It was better to learn, then hear the music we had just learned about, to understand the depth that came along with the music. I enjoyed the class very much. I would have taken it a second time, but unfortunately it was not available this time. I am sad that I can’t take the class again, but i am thankful that I could take a class that I was truly interested in.
We hope you enjoy these last few weeks of school before the Christmas break.
Kasady Heineman & Eric Stevens